Friends of PLHIV Forum
The dedicated service is best for promotion and welfare of the people. In the view of eradicating the stigma, protect themseves and empower the infected to survive in the world with peace, Peace Trust has implementing the comprehensive prevention, care and support project in Tiruneveli corporation, Palayamkottai block. The project is being supported by BMZ/Malteser International and coordinated by Pro-vision since 2007. The programme was the coordinated effort of four implementing partners in Tirunelveli district with one specialization like lobbying and advocacy, Medical component, migration and industrial intervention.
There was tremendous changes had taken place in the last year 2009. The contributions of the project team members were much more higher in the development of the Project. Trainings for the PLHIV in special needs, registration of Nellai Sutram, get togethers and Nellai Sutram annual general body meeting was highlighted during the reporting period .
Support Group Meeting
The goal of this programme is to enhance the standard of living of the PLHIV and of their corresponding kinsfolk through Home, Community and Institution Based care and thereafter preventing the spread of STI and HIV/AIDS in the Palayamkottai block, Tirunelveli Corporation and in the Kuruvikulam Blocks.
- Prevent the further spread of STI and HIV/ AIDS among the general population.
- Provide technical guidance on Home Based Care to the Existing PLHIV and education to the newly identified PLHIV.
- Endorse the involvement of the Family Affected by AIDS (FAA) towards PLHIV care.
- Ensure the functional setup and up liftment of support groups.
- Increase the involvement of the community to provide contribution for the welfare of the PLHIV in the Nellai Sutram through the Friends of PLHIV forum.
- Strengthen the referral and linkages system for creating enabling environment to access the services by the PLHIV.
|Tirunelveli Corporation area and Palayamkottai Block||PLHIV and their Family members, General Population||Prevention care and support|
|13 Blocks and One corporation area covered by 4 Partner NGOs and other NGOs working in other body.||PLHIV and STI Persons||Medical Intervention
(OP & TCC Services )
1. Reduction in the vulnerability of people to HIV and STIs
Support Group Leaders Meeting
Training to Support Group Leaders
Nellai Sutram – Block Level Meeting
Nellai Sutram – Zonel Meeting
Community helath workers were intend to promote the awareness among the general population to reduce the vulnerability of STI and HIV/AIDS. They had carried out the following programmes to achieve the result.
1. IPC (Under Interpersonal communication, the following activities were carried out)
- One to one interaction
- One to group interaction
- SHG awareness programme
- Youth Awareness Programme
The programmes were organized based on the villages which were identified as high risk villages.
- Street Theatre
- Film Show
II. Care & Support
1. Life Skills Education sessions for Orphans and Vulnerable Children
2. Promotion of Self Care and Environmental Hygiene among PLHIV and their family members:
3. Promotion of awareness on bio medical waste disposals and proper funeral to the FAA :
4. Impart knowledge to manage minor physical aliments at home
5. Psychological and Psycho social support to PLHIV
6. Peer Care Givers:
7. Support Groups :
8. FAA /CAA Support Group Meeting :
9. Formation and strengthening of Block level support Groups:
10. Strengthening Village level Friends of PLHIV Forums
11. Availability of adequate referral and linkages services to PLHIV Referrals to Govt. ART Centre :
12. Referrals to Govt. Schemes & Widow pension: